Seiten

Dieses Blog durchsuchen

Montag, 31. Dezember 2012

Noodle Salad with Mango


What a stressfull day I had, but now I'm ready and almost everything is done for the new years' eve. The whole morning - to be exactly till 13.30 h I was at my new job, getting all the important news to start on wednesday, cause I would be there alone.  The other woman will be leaving and I had to now how to run the office. It was a informativ morning and then afterward I went for groceries, came home cooked my late lunch (the noodle salad below) and in a different pan my dinner for the evening.
 
Afterward  I prepared the appetizer - simple cause of the time.
Some toast loaded with horseradish and vegan salmon, and some cutted veggies to dip with sauce.
 
Now I'm ready for the evening.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------- 
 
 
Noodle Salad with Mango
 


Noodle Salad with MangoDressing
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red jalapeno chile, finely chopped

Salad
8 oz dried rice noodles
1 large carrot, cut into thin strips (or grated)
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
1/2 English cucumber, halved and sliced
1 cup bean sprouts
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 large ripe mango, peeled and sliced
1 cup cubed grilled tofu (I cheated and bought this at Whole Food's prepared foods bar but feel free to prepare your own, or leave it out)
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup roasted peanuts, crushed

1. To make dressing: Warm all ingredients in pan over low heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Cool.

2. To make Salad: Cook noodles per package instructions. Rinse under cold water. Toss noodles with all ingredients and dressing, reserving cilantro and peanuts to sprinkle on top.
 
------------------------------------------------------------
 
 The first time I ate Okra's was at a restaurant and I was surprised how good they were and I had to make them once upon a time myself. The only thing is, we only get it at a chinese store and this store don't often got them.

Last time I was there I saw them and immediatly had to buy. Mostly when you're cooking with a specific vegetable the first time it may not end up very good, eather overcooked or the taste may not be very good. My fist dish was overcooked and therefore the taste was pretty strange. This time I prepared myself and it ended up very very good. Defently to make it again!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bhindi Masala - Okra Curry


If you've never cooked with okra, go buy some now! Okra is indigenous to West Africa but has become a staple in traditional cooking all over the world, including northern India where it's called bhindi. Okra is delicious, easy to prepare, low in fat, cholesterol and sodium, and packed with fiber, vitamins A, C, K, B6, thiamin, folate, calcium, magnesium, iron.... the list goes on! It's soft and crunchy and works perfectly in this richly spiced tomato coconut curry.

Ingredients:
1 small yellow onion
1 tablespoon fresh ginger root
2 large garlic cloves
2 cups okra

1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon turmeric
Pinch of cinnamon
1 dried chili pepper
2 whole cloves
4 cardamom pods

1 can light coconut milk
1 can diced tomatoes or 2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped

Preparation:
1. Slice the onion into thin half moons and saute in olive oil until the onion begins to brown.

2. Mince the ginger and garlic and slice the okra into disks. Add the ginger and garlic to the onions and saute for another minute or two. Add the okra.
3. Add the cumin, garam masala, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom. Cook for a minute to toast the spices.


4. Add the coconut milk and diced tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for about 20 minutes, or until the tomato and coconut has created a thick, dark curry.


I served this over some farmers' market arugula but you could serve it with basmati rice, coconut rice, or even quinoa.

 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen