Seiten

Dieses Blog durchsuchen

Montag, 7. Januar 2013

Two Colored Bread







Two-Colored Bread

I haven’t baked bread for a long while, and I’ve never baked a two-colored bread. The greener part didn't ended up with that strong color but the bread was yummy.
 
kypsa_leipa.JPG

This amount of dough makes just one bread.
Bread dough:
  • 6 g dry yeast
  • 2,5 dl water
  • 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 dl bread flour
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Yellow dough:
  • 1 carrot (about 80 g), finely grated
  • pinch of turmeric
  • 1 dl spelt flour
  • 1/2 dl wheat flour
For the green dough:
  • 2 dl arugula, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons leftover pesto sauce (or chopped basil leaves)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 dl spelt flour
  • 1/2 dl wheat flour

First, I mixed the dry yeast in some of the flour, and dissolved it in a big mixing bowl in 2,5 dl water a little warmer than my hand, and stirred this for a minute with a wooden spoon. I added salt, and then flour, 1 dl at a time, blending well to form a runny dough. In the end, I added olive oil, and blended it in.

Then I divided the dough in two equal parts, placed these in two bowls, and added the rest of the ingredients to each dough, the yellow and the green one. First, I added spices and veggies, second, spelt flour, and third, the rest of the flour. I added as much flour as was needed to form a relatively stiff dough, and then kneaded the doughs for a few minutes each.

Now the doughs needed to rise. I placed the two bowls in the washbasin of the kitchen sink, filled halfway with warm water. Then I covered the bowls with plastic wrap to make sure that any draft kept away. I let the doughs todouble their size.
Bread before baking
Then, I preheated the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, and greased a rectangular bread tin. I patted the green dough on the bottom of the tin. I then braided the orange dough on top of it: I divided the dough in four parts, and then formed a long strip of each part, and then twirled each set of two around each other. (Another option would be to just flatten the yellow dough on top of the green one.)
Now, I let the bread rise again for half an hour. Now, I baked the bread for about 35 minutes in the middle section of the oven, until it was brown on top, and the crust was crunchy.








-------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 

Zesty Quinoa Edamame Salad

Even in wintertime I like to eat salad, though the supermarket haven't much various vegetable.
Today I saw that they were having frozen Edamame and I never saw them in my local supermarket. I immediatly had to buy them.

edamame_quinoa_salad


The Marinated Cauliflower:
  • 200 g cauliflower, in small florets
  • juice of 1/2 lime
  • grated zest of 1 lime
  • pinch of salt, sugar, and cayenne pepper
I mixed all the ingredients together and let them marinate in the fridge for a few hours.

For the Salad:
  • 1 and 1/2 dl quinoa, plus 2 and 1/2 dl water for cooking
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 4 dl edamame (frozen’s what we have)
  • 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
This is how I usually cook the quinoa for nice and fluffy results: rinse the quinoa well, place the quinoa and the water in a small cooking pot, and cook on high heat until the water starts boiling.

Then I reduce the heat to low and cook, tightly covered, until all the water has been absorbed and the quinoa has steamed a bit, for about 20 minutes. This time I added two garlic cloves in the cooking water as well, and after the quinoa was done, removed them from the pot and saved for later use in the dressing.

The edamame we get is frozen, and I just cooked it in plenty of water for about 3 minutes, then rinsed with cold water to cool down.
After the quinoa and the edamame had cooled to room temperature I tossed them together with the onions in a salad bowl.

The Dressing:
  • 1/2 dl olive oil
  • juice of 1/2 a lime and 1/2 an orange
  • the two cooked garlic cloves from the quinoa
  • 1/2 dl chopped cilantro
  • 1/3 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar, or more to taste
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • plenty of freshly ground black pepper
I mixed everything except salt and pepper together in the food processor until smooth and light green.

Then I seasoned the dressing with salt and pepper, tossed the salad and the cauliflower florets with the dressing, and garnished with a few yellow cherry tomatoes.

This makes quite a large batch – they tasted mighty delicious after half a day of refrigeration as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen