Seiten

Dieses Blog durchsuchen

Dienstag, 7. Mai 2013

Rhurbarb jam

Every year when the spring and summer fruits comes into season you see me in the kitchen making jams. I grew up eating jams from the fruits of our homegarden, I even liked to pick them down, bowls of bowls. Well what can I say the selfmade jams are still the best ones.

During strawberry season I often went to a strawberry field selling them, but you have to pick them by yourself. I really loved that when being a child, though after work the back hurt from bending down.

My first jam this year was a pure rhubarb jam. First I wanted to mix them with strawberries, but the one I could buy didn't taste yet well, so I decide to make a plain rhubarb jam and I have to say I even like it better them plain than mixed.



Rhubarb Jam

 
 
Ingredients:
 
500 g raw Rhubarb, trimmed and weight
500 g sugar or 250 g jam sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
 
Direction:
Wash the rhubarb under cold water, trimm and slice into 2 cm pieces. Take a big pan, preheat and put the rhubarb into the pan, cook for a few minutes then add the sugar and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved, and bring to the boil.
 
Continue to cook at a fairly swift pace until the rhubarb is really tender and the conserve has reached setting point - this should take about 10-15 mins.
 
To test for a set, drop ½ tsp of the jam onto a cold saucer, leave it for 30 secs, then gently push it with the tip of your finger. If the jam wrinkles the setting point has been reached. If not, continue to cook for a further couple of minutes and test again.
 
Remove the pan from the heat and leave to one side for 2-3 mins before pouring into sterilised jars. Seal immediately and label with the date once completely cold.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen